INNOVATION January-February 2014

Introducing the Newest Principals of Levelton Consultants

l et ter s

How to Leverage Voter Apathy I was disappointed but not surprised to see the typical 20.9% response in the recent APEGBC Council election and bylaw vote. Currently, Council can change the bylaws of the associa- tion with the approval of two-thirds of the votes cast by ballot. Thus two-thirds of the usual 21% voting in favour of a new or amended bylaw can impose the will of 14% of the APEGBC membership upon the remaining 86%. I urge all eligible mem- bers to vote in future ballots so the fate of professional engineer- ing and geoscience in BC isn’t decided by the enthusiastic few. Keith Antonelli, P.Eng. Vancouver, BC Letters to the Editor containing your views on topics of interest or concern to members are encouraged. While we welcome your input, due to space limitations we may be unable to publish all letters received. Opinions expressed in Letters to the Editor are not necessarily endorsed by APEGBC. Letters can be e-mailed to Correction The article, “2013 President’s Award Recipients” in the September/ October 2013 issue of Innovation contained a misstatement in one of the President’s Awards. Dr. Akram Alfantazi, P.Eng., received the UBC Killam Award for Excellence in Mentoring, not the Killam Teaching Award, in 2010.

Shakir Rashid, P.Eng., has 15 years’ experience specializing in Building Envelope, working with numerous strata corporations and property managers. He sits on the Board of Directors of BC Building Envelope Council. Scott Cumming, B.A.Sc., M.E., P.Eng., is the Concrete Technology Group Leader specializing in non- destructive evaluation of concrete structures, roller-compacted concrete, aggregate evaluation and thermal mitigation. Jay Rao, M.A.Sc., P.Eng. is a Senior Environmental Engineer specializing in site assessments & remediation. Jay is a member of the CSAP Society and is on the Chair of the Surrey Board of Trade Environmental Group. Guillaume Vadeboncoeur, P.Eng., LEED AP, is a Group Leader providing Building Envelope services in the Fraser Valley and Okanagan. He is a member of ACEC- BC Building Engineering Committee and RCI Western Canada Chapter. David E. Smith, MScE, P.Eng., is the Group Leader of a laboratory specializing in condition assessments of concrete structures, service life modelling for new construction, testing thermal properties of concrete and concrete mix design develoment.

newsmaker s The Association for Mineral Exploration British Columbia (AME BC) announced the 2013 recipi- ents of its annual awards presented to those iden- tified for significant contributions to the mineral exploration and development industry. Among the recipients are several APEGBC members. Timothy Smith, P.Geo., of Kaminak Gold Cor- poration, and Alan Wainwright, P.Geo., of Venture One Capital join Rob Carpenter, Craig Finnigan, and Adam Simmons in receiving the H. H. “Spud” Huestis Award for excellence in prospecting and mineral exploration. They are recognized for their role in Kaminak Gold Corporation’s exploration and development of the Coffee Gold Project. Peter Holbek, P.Geo., and Rod Shier, both of Copper Mountain Mining Corporation are recipients of the E. A. Scholz Award for excellence in mine development. They are acknowledged for their leadership in bringing the Copper Mountain mine back into production after a long hiatus. They recognized the geological potential of the deposit, arranged the financing for the exploration and mine development, and established the necessary ore reserves. CONTINUED ON PAGE 6

APEGBC Members

Receive AME BC Awards of Excellence

Tyler Abel, M.Sc., is the Air Quality Group Leader specializing in environmental assessment, air permit applications, and air quality modelling and monitoring.

We solve specialized Engineering and Environmental challenges.


J AN UA R Y/ F E B R UA R Y 2 014

i n n o v a t i o n

Made with FlippingBook HTML5